Walking into holy matrimony at the young age of nineteen, I had my fair share of doubts and misunderstandings. I had this fantasy of no less than a hybrid Mr. Darcy and Hugh Grant. The world of social media made me presume that my marriage would be full of selfies and hashtags. But it’s not like that.
It’s so much better.
The big day came and went in the blink of an eye and now six months later there is so much that I have learnt.
1. It’s difficult. It’s not easy to live with someone you hardly know. But with extra time and extra patience, it get’s a whole lot better. You become each other’s best friends and everything becomes easier when you have that one person to talk to about anything and everything.
2. Never assume! Assumptions are the death of happiness. Don’t assume that he isn’t trying or that he doesn’t care. Every man is different and his perception of love is different as well. I assure you, give them time and they will prove to be a soppier romantic than you and they may even surprise you with loving gestures.
3. Don’t rush things. You have your whole life together so take it easy. Enjoy the little moments together.
4. Be generous with words and gestures. Say “thank you”, “I’m sorry” or even “I love you” without hesitation. Spontaneous bursts of love are always confidence boosters.
5. Create something that only you two know, or a game that only you two know how to play. Create something unique just for the both of you.
6. Be each other’s support. This is the most important. Text messages and emails can always bring out other meanings rather than what we wish to portray – so don’t be irrational and judge, instead take a deep breath and support each other’s flaws and perfections.
In the end, when the whole world seems like a lonely place, your spouse will always be there. He or she is “your person” so, fight for them and always appreciate them.